Skip to main content

Week 6 First Frisbee Tournament

This past weekend was exciting. I finally got to experience my first full outdoor frisbee tournament. I will be recapping what happened on Saturday and Sunday at the tournament.

I am on club frisbee and we had our first tournament of the year this past weekend. The tournament was in Versailles which is an hour and a half east of Ada. On Saturday I woke up at 6am since we had to leave by 7am to get there around 8:15am-8:30am. Our first match started at 9am. We played 3 matches on Saturday which each match was around a little under 2 hours. The teams we played Saturday were Cedarville, Miami X, and Rose Hulman. Just some basic frisbee knowledge it is like football but with a disc. When you score a touchdown, it is only 1 point though. Halftime is at 8 points since the highest number of points that can be scored is 15. Our first match against Cedarville started off rough we went down 0-7. But by the time halftime rolled around the score was 4-8. We ended up losing 10-15 but For most people on our team it is their first ever competitive match and Cedarville is a really good team. They had 30 plus guys when we only had 13. Miami X destroyed us 2-15. I scored a touchdown this game.

We did not feel too bad about this since they were Miami best team. In frisbee when there is an X after a team’s name that means that’s their best team. Our last game against Rose Hulman it was a nail bitter. At halftime we were down 4-8 but came back and scored 3 points in 10 minutes to go up 10-9 in overtime. We played to 11 and we ended up losing but it was a good match.

On Sunday we had 3 more matches but we had less people. In our first match we played Cincinnati Y. They still ran through us 4-15. Playing D1 schools is tough since they have a lot of people. Our next match was against Xavier Y and this one was another barn burner. Except this time, we were up 8-5 at halftime and Xavier came back into the match. Again, we were up 10-9 and ended losing 11-10 heartbreak again. By this point we only had 9 people and we only play 1 half in our 3rd game since we were out of energy and did not want to risk injury. That 1 half in our 3rd game was against Miami Y and we lost the first half 2-8.

In 36 hours, I played 12 hours of frisbee. My legs on Monday were dead but I still had a ton of fun this past weekend. I can’t wait to play in more tournaments this year.

That’s it for me this week see you next week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 SMSC

As week 4 rolls around and is ending there has been something on my mind recently that happened by in May after school ended. When finals were done and I went home and was excited for summer. I needed time away from the classroom and this would be my final summer where I was able to spend most of it with the family. About 3 days after I had been home my granny came to visit my sister who was in town and me at our house. My grandma never liked being called grandma so we called her granny. We ate lunch together and talk for a long time since it had been a while since I had seen her in person with covid and everything. She mentioned how lonely she had become because of it and she had no one to talk to a lot of the time. I told her that I would spend the summer at her house cleaning it out like I did last summer. Eventually she ended up leaving and going home since there was a storm coming, she did not want to be caught in it. 2 days later it is mother’s day. In my family on mother’s d

USA vs. Mexico

There was a huge soccer match this past Friday night. USA played Mexico in Cincinnati for their seventh world cup qualifying match. This means they are halfway through world cup qualifying for the 2022 world cup in Qatar. The match is extremely important since Mexico was top of the group before the match was played and if USA won the match, we would move into first place above Mexico. The match was crazy! Pulisic is USA’s best player but he has recently just come back from injury so he did not start. Usually, USA starts off their matches slowly and does not play to well in the first half. Mexico dominated the first half but thankfully did not get a goal. Then the second half started and this is where the action truly began. The game became more chippy and emotions started to rise up. USA started to look better but Mexico was still getting the better chances. That was until Pulisic was subbed into the game with 25 minutes to go. As soon as he came into the game the mentally of the who

Week 3 Social Media for Strategic Communication Chapters 4-6

This week we read Chapters 4-6 in Social Media for Strategic Communication. Chapter 6 specifically stood out to me. In anything we do we should have a plan of what we want to accomplish. Chapter 6 talks about strategic planning for social media. I found this intriguing because most people who use social media do this to some extent. When someone is making a social media post, they subconsciously think about pre-existing information on whatever they are going to post. While individuals may not explicitly think about what they want from their social media post. People post to get a reaction, or they have an end goal to what they posted. They may not necessarily follow every step laid out in chapter 6, but the mindset is similar. This chapter opened my mind to what companies think about potentially when posting on their social media’s. The end goal of a company is to make money. So, when they are doing social media posts whether it is promoting or just creating conversation online com