Skip to main content

Week 2 ONU Blog

Another blog about ONU life. I am apart of Greek life on campus, and I am going to talk about how it has help me with perspective and perception about trying new things.

Coming into college Greek life was not on my mind at all. I did not think I was a Greek life person. I knew about the stigma surrounding Greek life. Nevertheless, during welcome weekend I went to Greek-a-Palooza. I had called my sister, who went to ONU and was part of a sorority, and asked her what fraternities she thinks I would like or what fraternities are more chill and relaxed. I went around and just started talking to some of the organizations and when I got to Sigma Pi, I recognized one their members who went to my high school. I spent most of the time with the Sigma Pi guys during Greek-a-Palooza. They gave me a card to contact them if I was interested in coming to some events to see if I potentially wanted to join. Then I forgot about it.

I broke both my wrists in the first week of school. I left campus for 2 and a half weeks to get surgery in Toledo. When I came back to campus, I contacted them and said I would like to get to know the guys and hang out with them. Honestly without the Sigma Pi guys I do not know how my first semester would have finished out. They helped me tremendously. All the things you hear about fraternities I did not feel that when I was around the Sigma Pi guys. Eventually I joined and it has been great. Being apart of a Greek organization it’s not only given me a way to build relationships and become a leader.

As for the helping me with perspective and perception. Joining Greek life has helped try new things that I have always wanted to do. It has taught me to form my own opinions in a stronger way when trying something new or doing something that people may think is bad or weird. Instead of just listening to what people say about something I have learned to try it out for myself and see what it is about.

I will never let the stigma of anything stop me from trying something new again.

Comments

  1. Hi there! Umm... breaking both wrists does not sound fun at all. I do not know what I would do if I had to go through something like that, so props to you! Since I have just finished my freshman year at ONU I have not had many encounters with Greek Life. But of what I have seen and heard everyone sounds like they are good people. It kind of surprises me to hear that joining a frat made you have stronger opinions and all that because I would think it would do the opposite. But what do I know... I'm not in a sorority or anything. Also, I hope your wrists are all good now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both wrists?! In the first week!? You sir are a trooper for pushing through that! It is amazing to hear that you found your fit in a Greek organization. I was also part of a sorority on campus and felt the exact same way about the stigma. I hadn't originally thought I would join because of it, but then I realized just how wrong that stigma was and the amount of service the Greek organizations did.

    While I agree with you on the stigma, I would say that the independence of college is probably more so what helped you form your opinions in a stronger way and maybe Sigma Pi helped push you out of your previous bubble that silenced those opinions. At least that was my experience and I believe the experience of many others who chose not to go Greek. However, I do believe Greek life tends to push people slightly out of their comfort zone in a fun way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4 SMSC

As week 4 rolls around and is ending there has been something on my mind recently that happened by in May after school ended. When finals were done and I went home and was excited for summer. I needed time away from the classroom and this would be my final summer where I was able to spend most of it with the family. About 3 days after I had been home my granny came to visit my sister who was in town and me at our house. My grandma never liked being called grandma so we called her granny. We ate lunch together and talk for a long time since it had been a while since I had seen her in person with covid and everything. She mentioned how lonely she had become because of it and she had no one to talk to a lot of the time. I told her that I would spend the summer at her house cleaning it out like I did last summer. Eventually she ended up leaving and going home since there was a storm coming, she did not want to be caught in it. 2 days later it is mother’s day. In my family on mother’s d

USA vs. Mexico

There was a huge soccer match this past Friday night. USA played Mexico in Cincinnati for their seventh world cup qualifying match. This means they are halfway through world cup qualifying for the 2022 world cup in Qatar. The match is extremely important since Mexico was top of the group before the match was played and if USA won the match, we would move into first place above Mexico. The match was crazy! Pulisic is USA’s best player but he has recently just come back from injury so he did not start. Usually, USA starts off their matches slowly and does not play to well in the first half. Mexico dominated the first half but thankfully did not get a goal. Then the second half started and this is where the action truly began. The game became more chippy and emotions started to rise up. USA started to look better but Mexico was still getting the better chances. That was until Pulisic was subbed into the game with 25 minutes to go. As soon as he came into the game the mentally of the who

Week 3 Social Media for Strategic Communication Chapters 4-6

This week we read Chapters 4-6 in Social Media for Strategic Communication. Chapter 6 specifically stood out to me. In anything we do we should have a plan of what we want to accomplish. Chapter 6 talks about strategic planning for social media. I found this intriguing because most people who use social media do this to some extent. When someone is making a social media post, they subconsciously think about pre-existing information on whatever they are going to post. While individuals may not explicitly think about what they want from their social media post. People post to get a reaction, or they have an end goal to what they posted. They may not necessarily follow every step laid out in chapter 6, but the mindset is similar. This chapter opened my mind to what companies think about potentially when posting on their social media’s. The end goal of a company is to make money. So, when they are doing social media posts whether it is promoting or just creating conversation online com